Miles for smiles

Posted on: 26th April 2017

Fen tells us about running the London Marathon for the Child Brain Injury Trust

“I went down to London with my husband the day before the marathon and we stayed overnight at my brother’s, who had kindly picked up my race number for me.

It was a bright and early start on the Sunday but I made sure I ate a good breakfast. Then off I went on the tube to Greenwich, where the marathon started. The station at Greenwich was packed with competitors, spectators and media crew.

The scale of the event is incredible and it all runs like such a well-oiled machine!

Refreshments were on hand while we all waited for the race to start, as well as some light entertainment, including karaoke. There was even a couple getting married amongst the hustle and bustle of it all.

The race kicked off at 10am but there were so many people taking part that I didn’t cross the start line until 10.17! It was impossible to get into a good rhythm because everyone was so close together. It was becoming frustrating but I told myself to just go with the flow and enjoy it - and I did!

I tried to take it all in. The crowd was phenomenal - over 800,000 spectators - and their roar was overwhelming at times. There were sound systems playing music along the route and people with microphones and amps cheering us on. The marshals were fantastic too - really friendly and encouraging.

The whole event was so well organised and is such a spectacle.

I spotted my husband and brother in the crowd on Birdcage Walk (the last stretch before the finish on The Mall), which helped me to muster the energy to overtake 3 people before I crossed the finish line.


My finish time was 4 hours 3 minutes and 16 seconds - though not as fast a time as I had wanted, I did beat my personal record. I came in faster than a couple of celebrities - Chris Evans and Mark Chapman - and apparently overtook someone from Gogglebox on tower bridge.

After I was awarded with my medal - though not by royal hands - I made my way out of the crowd, almost crawling by this point. Then it was off to the pub to celebrate with my husband, brother, fellow runners from the Portobello Running Club and their family members.

It was a great day. I’m already thinking of signing up for another marathon - one that’s less busy so I can really try to improve my time.”

We’re so proud of our Fen - not only has she trained hard and completed the race in a fantastic time but she has put so much effort into fundraising for the Child Brain Injury Trust and has smashed her initial target of £2,500.

It’s not too late to donate! Visit Fen's JustGiving page